A VR HMD currently in development.
If you deal with 3D Stereo Video sooner or later you will have to find a solution for the HDMI 1.4a problem as of today there are only very little devices available that support it. This format for example used by Blu-Ray 3D or the Sony Playstation to play out 3D video, sends the left above the right eye image in one frame without anamorphic compression.
If your display device does support it or if you have a setup with two video projectors where you need left and right eyes in two separate signals you have to convert somehow. As of today I only know of two devices that are capable of that.
For a conversion to 120Hz stereo this is the Optoma 3D-XL. It converts HDMI 1.4a as well as Side-by-Side stereo video.
For conversion to Side-by-Side and to two separate stereo signals it’s the rather pricy Corio C2-8000 series full fledged seamless switchers from tvone that became available at ISE 2011. I’ve had the chance to test the C2-8110 that comes with 6 HDMI 1.4a capable inputs and two outputs.
After LG and Hyundai Philips announced a new product series of polarized 3D LCDs. Still they will continue to offer active stereo. The advantage of polarized displays, in their opinion are the cheap glasses. Polarized displays will become available starting in two product series: First the 7000er series and the 50″ “Gold variant” of the 21:9 Cinema Display. In the 7000er series the 42″ 42-PFL7607K will be available starting in May followed by displays in the range of 32″ to 55″ between June and August.
supported playout formats:
- Dual Screen Output
- NVIDIA Stereo Driver
- StereoBright™ 2
- Quad Buffered OpenGL 3
- Sharp 3D Display
- 3D Enabled DLP-TV
- Tridelity SL Series 3D Displays
- SIS Attachment 4
- Side By Side
- Row Interlaced
- Column Interlaced
- True Anaglyph Red – Blue
- True Anaglyph Red – Green
- Gray Anaglyph Red – Cyan
- Gray Anaglyph Yellow – Blue
- Gray Anaglyph Green – Magenta
- Half Color Anaglyph Red – Cyan
- Half Color Anaglyph Yellow – Blue
- Half Color Anaglyph Green – Magenta
- Color Anaglyph Red – Cyan
- Color Anaglyph Yellow – Blue
- Color Anaglyph Green – Magenta
- Optimized Anaglyph Red – Cyan
- Optimized Anaglyph Yellow – Blue
- Optimized Anaglyph Green – Magenta
- Video for Windows (*.avi), MPEG-1 (*.mpg), Windows Media (*.wmv, *.asf), QuickTime (*.mov) and Material Exchange Format (*.mxf)
- photos in mpo, jpg, jps, tif, gif, png and bmp format
- Windows Media Dual Stream filesSupports separate left/right files
- MXF files of Digital Cinema Packages (DCPs), including XYZ to RGB color space conversion
- Digital Rights Management (for stereoscopic Windows Media files only)
- Playback of any other format supported by third party DirectShow decoders
- Windows Media 7.1 and 5.1 multichannel audio decoding
- Windows Media streaming
- 3D-DVD playback 1
- Live playback from capture devices (TV card, DV camcorder, …)
One of the few available polarized LCD 3D Displays is the LG 47LD950. As of today the lowest internet price is ~1.000 Euro.
Hyundai has also some polarized LCDs available pdf but the 46″ sized displays internet price is now arround 9.200 Euro.
The last polarized display I found is the JVC GD-463D10. The internet price is arround 5.200 Euro.
What’s the reason for the huge price difference? I don’t know.